Latest Posts

Gone Girl Gillian Flynn

By 19:51 , , , , , , , ,



I only have one thing to say about this book: I NEED someone else to read it. And then I need them to talk to me about it. It truly gets into your head, confusing you, and eventually leaves you hating Amy Dunne and craving a longer story.



At first, the book took quite a bit to get into to. The story just seemed to drag on a bit about Nick Dunne and how his wife went missing, and Amy's diary entries about how they first met. Blah blah blah. But trust me, if you stick through the first couple of chapters the story line will begin to pick up.I went from not wanting to read it to wanting it to go on forever. I honestly didn't want to finish this book.

It's a classic "who dunnit" style, but between a married couple. No one would think that a loving husband would kill his wife - until they read said wife's diary entries. Nick leaves little hints throughout the book, about lying to the police and picturing his wife lay in their kitchen with her head caved in. This all leads you to think he did it. Didn't he?



By part two of the book I was left utterly gobsmacked. At this point all I wanted to do in my spare time was read the book and figure out the messed up situation that was going on. By part three, I was bitter and angry at how twisted Amy really is. By the end I just wanted to know more about the couple's story. Yes, I know they are fictional, but Flynn writes in such a way that this pair could be a real couple hiding a real secret. I can't wait to read more of Flynn's books if they are written in the same, excellent way.

Overall, I highly recommend this book, to anyone. I feel that the mystery appeals to most, and the curiosity will get to you. But one thing, don't watch the film. It doesn't quite capture the same essence as the book, and completely overlooks how twisted Amy really is, leaving the viewer a bit bewildered. If I had seen the film first, I would have never read the book, it's that bad. Instead, read the book and then please discuss it with me. You'll need to.


Layla x

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I read the book for you but by half way I had to read the book for me, to hope among all hope, for justice and like you said, they are fictional and yet they felt so real. They felt like people we could know who appear decent and pleasant on the surface but beneath that it's a horror show.

    Although I don't have people in my life like that, (Or do I? scary thought) the main theme for me was control and manipulation and that rang really deeply in my core about what I've known and how I've been treated and others I love have been treated. Control and manipulation and now we all pretend like nothing ever happened before. The book got to me really bad, it touched a part of me I don't like to talk about but it's there.

    ReplyDelete