Latest Posts

Becoming Vegetarian

By 11:00 , , , , , , , , , , ,



Hello!

Today I wanted to talk about becoming vegetarian, and share a few things about what I've been eating since I made the change.
Before I start, I want to point out that I am in no way saying that you MUST become vegetarian/vegan, nor am I condemning meat eaters, I ate meat for 20 years so I can't really say anything. I just want to talk about why I made the switch and my personal choice.

So, about 4 months ago now, I was eating a piece of steak, and halfway through my meal I began to feel sick. Not in a food poisoning type of way, but in a "I am eating a dead animal" kind of way. This wasn't the first time it had happened, but on that particular occasion, it really did affect me. I was just chewing and chewing and it was vile, I didn't want to swallow any of the steak. And then that was when I realised that it just wasn't for me. I felt disgusted that I was eating animals, and I didn't know how up until that point I had differentiated from eating a cow but not eating my pet dogs. They're all animals who can see, feel, live.

So that night, I sat down with my grandparents and told them my decision, and they fully supported it. A few of my friends did have a giggle, but I can't blame them. I ate meat for two meals a day, everyday, and I was going to go cold turkey (But not literally, Haha. No?).

It was actually a lot easier to make the change than I thought it would be. At first, it was hit and miss. I'm not really a huge fan of vegetables, which I get is my main food source as a veggie. But when they're combined, such as in vegetable lasagna, I don't mind them so much. But as the months have gone on, I have discovered more and more things that I like to eat!

Some of my favourite things are cheesy pasta, Linda McCartney sausages and sausage rolls (really, the sausage rolls are such a great snack!), vegetable lasagna, Quorn beef curry, Quorn beed chilli and eggs with waffles. A few other things I like to have as snacks are cheese toasties, super noodles (the bacon ones are veggie, guys!) I also love these fries that you can get from Makro, seriously good. Then there are also the typical, carrots, grapes, apples, bananas etc, but I thought that would be pretty obvious!

A lot more things are vegetarian than you would expect, for instance, beef and tomato pot noodles haha. But there are other things that aren't vegetarian that surprised me, such as Moams and Milky Bar Yoghurts.

At the moment, I'm still in a learning curve. I'm discovering what is veggie, what isn't, what I do and don't like. But every single day I'm getting a step further away from eating meat. Like I said before, this isn't a post to make you feel guilty if you do eat meat, it's a post to just share my journey, and the happy life change I have made.

Thanks for reading,

Layla x

You Might Also Like

0 comments